Photobucket

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Thursday 13

I put this together late last night, but it wouldn't let me change the date like I usually do. Weird. Also, if you can't read it, try highlighting the post. I didn't have time to try to change the color of the words. Thanks.



Thirteen Things about Party Pascha


1. This may sound totally gross to some of you, but I love marshmallow creme on crackers. I'm one of those sweet & salty people. And that little unhealthy snack totally hits the spot sometimes.
2. I don't have a stocking for my daughter. She's 15 months (so she was here last year for Christmas) and I still don't have one for her. I made the three we have for us and my son. I would like for them to match, but I don't have the fabric anymore. Would it be so bad if I waited until next year to update the stockings? I just don't have time right now.
3. All this time (since before Thanksgiving) Parker has been asking for 2 main items for Santa to bring him. Yesterday he sees something on t.v. and says he wants that now. "Well Santa has already picked out what he's going to bring you. You can't change it now. Maybe I can get it for you for your birthday later."
Him: "But I really want it for Christmas. I don't need the other thing."
Me: "Well, I'm sorry, but I don't think he's gonna bring it."
(ugh!)
4. Inlaws are annoying. Enough said.
5. I plan on homeschooling. My mom, dad, and littlest sister support me. The rest of them and the inlaws, too roll their eyes whenever it comes up and act like my kids are gonna be a bunch of social rejects who don't know a damn thing. First of all, why even say anything? Haven't you ever heard of "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."? And secondly, how can people be so ignorant? Homeschoolers are on the rise and so are their successes. On average, homeschoolers score higher on tests than their "regular" school peers. They tend to be learning at least 2 grade levels above their peers. And they don't miss out on anything. They actually have more opportunities for activities than "regular" school. (At least they do where I live.) Anyway, I'm just really getting sick of the negativity by others. I'm a smart person. I'm not an idiot. I'm not going to hinder my children's education. I'm trying to make it better. Enough said.
6. I love Christmas! I love the lights and the music. We got a real tree this year. I picked the kind with the really soft needles. I think it's called a white pine. BUT! I didn't realize not only are the needles soft, but so are the branches. We had to cut back and limit the number of ornaments we hung this year, because they pull on the branches too much. It's nice and simply decorated and I have to say I like it. It's pretty.
7. I don't like to wear shoes. Even in winter. In the summer I even drive without shoes. I LOVE being barefoot!
8. I don't care much for coats either. They're just too bulky. And I always need to take it off once I'm inside the car or building. So why even put it on?
9. I don't shave my legs from fall to spring. And my husband doesn't mind, because the longer I go without shaving, the softer the hair. So it's not gross or annoying to him. Plus, it's blonde/reddish so you can't see it THAT clearly. :)
10. I am a big time procrastinator! It's hard to break the habit, too.
11. I have a hard time making rules for my kids that I don't agree with. Just because other parents have those rules doesn't mean I have to. But they sometimes look at me like I'm from another planet. I just don't believe in certain rules. That's my perogative. Deal with it.
12. My sister-in-law says I'm too nice to people. I don't understand this. When I'm being "too nice" it's usually because I'm thinking of the 'do unto others' rule and I'd want someone to do the same for me. What's wrong with that?
13. I love kitchen gadgets. My new "want" is The Magic Bullet. It's pretty cool.

Links to other Thursday Thirteens!
1. Jen's Horde
2. Running 2ks
3. Happy at Home
4. Musings from the Edge
5. Sleeping Mommy


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



11 Comments:

At 1:10 PM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

Congratulations on your decision to homeschool. We love it (the kids are 5 and almost 3).

My 13 are up :)

 
At 1:13 PM, Blogger Jen said...

We love homeschooling, too. Don't worry about the inlaws thinking you're weird. If they didn't think you were weird about homeschooling, they'd just think you were weird about something else. ;-) Trust me on this one!

Man, marshmallow creme on crackers actually sounds really GOOD right now. Can I come over and have snacks and talk about homeschooling with you while the kids play? You don't have to clean or anything!

My 13 is up! http://jenanddavin.blogspot.com/

 
At 3:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thursday 13. You remember that those are YOUR children and it's YOUR business, not anyone else's what you decide to do.

I think the homeschooling advantage is is that you get to work with your kids more closely than schoolteachers. If your child is struggling with a subject or a concept, you'll be quick to recognize it. Teachers have a lot of kids in the class...some of those kids misbehave and create distractions that hinder learning. And every child learns differently.
And more field trips! I know a lot of these schools don't have the funds to send classes out on field trips. I think there are times when you learn a lot more about life out there in the world than in the classroom. And field trips show these kids why it's important to take math, science, reading, etc. People use that in their everyday jobs.

Have a great day. My 13 are up!

 
At 3:33 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Marshmallow cream on crackers sounds AWESOME!!
And, we homeschool, at least the two oldest ones, so I think you're doing a great thing :)!
I wish I could get by with not shaving my legs, but I get some sort of nasty black barbed-wire looking junk on my legs if I don't.
I also abhor shoes (only wear my Birkenstocks if I leave the house) and don't do coats much...only light jackets. I am big on polar fleece...warm, but not bulky or heavy.
My 13 are up! :)

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger Sleeping Mommy said...

Yeah inlaws really ARE a pain in the ass--BIOTCH. ;)

Here's my link: http://sleepingmommy.com/?p=83

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger Jennifer said...

Oh, I don't make candles. I'm too stupid for that. I sell them for Gold Canyon Candles. They are the best anywhere! :)

 
At 5:16 AM, Blogger Dawn said...

Out visiting the 13'ers.

I go barefoot as much as possible and I have hairy legs during the winter.

my 13 are on blogroll, Dawn @ Neville Farm

 
At 12:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate shaving my legs too, but I love being warm and shoes. My legs haven't been shaved in a long time, tried it during wrestling, it was too "weird" feeling.

I like that these are "13" things, that is my favorite #.

Love Ya, The Syko

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger J-Lynn said...

Hmmmmm sounds like smores to me, I think I'd need the chocolate though. ;-) I don't have a stocking for Tristan OR Isabelle and decided against doing stockings at all this year, Christmas came too fast so they're just decoration. ;-) Usually I take a trip to the dollar store and they all buy each others stocking stuffers, not sure if we'll get there this year or not. Anyway, give Lydia a marshmellow creme cracker and she'll forget all about stockings anyway...LOL

You know we all support your decision. I know the group hasn't been the most active lately but feel free to plan anything you'd like to incorporate in the group. I am going to try to find a good field trip for January (maybe the Ommniplex? or Fire Dept?) and we'll start doing the monthly ones again. Support is so important, especially when you're an oddball in your family as you'll find out most of us in the group are. ;-) Anwyay, I think you're doing a great job and they're great kids and it's evident how much you love them and being with them - you're a great mom, parenting from your heart. :-)

We bought our tree late this year so it's droopy but it was half price...lol I hate shoes as well but my feet are freezing in my poorly insulated house so socks or slippers are a must in the wintertime. And I DESPISE coats! HATE THEM! I only wear one when DH is looking. ;-)

About your parenting. No one has a right but you and your hubby to raise your children. What we did was look at our children now, and what we wanted them to become (loosely) as adults. We set boundaries from there. In some ways we're stricter than most and in other ways we're too relaxed. You will *never* please everyone. So just look inside, to what you and DH want for your children and go from there. That's all that's important. They were given to you for a reason..

Hugs, I rambled but I don't do a 13 so I did it here I guess...lol Missed you on Friday, I brought baby Tristan for his debut. ;-)

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Porkchop said...

On the homeschooling bit--you rock!

I was (sort of!) homeschooled. (And by that I mean we sort of educated ourselves, our mother didn't really do anything.)

But it afforded my PLENTY of amazing opportunities.

One thing--make sure you get your children involved in things where they will be able to get college scholarships. Our parents didn't and I am not stuck trying to pay for college. Whereas, my little brother was homeschooled until the last two grades and is now CLEANING UP in the scholarship department. (Harvard, MIT, Princeton, Stanford, you name it, they have asked him to come.)

Good luck!

 
At 8:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry it took so long for me to respond..still trying to read them all.

I think what you decide for your children's education is what is best. Each family has to figure that out fr themselves! Stay strong!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home