Photobucket

Thursday, December 29, 2005

It's The Final Countdown!

No, not to the new year. Although that is true, too.

I have officially declared Mon, January 9, 2006 as our Official Beginning of Homeschooling!! Dat-ta-dah! That is also "Coming of Age Day" in Japan, if that means anything. Anyway, that gives me time to put away all the Christmas decorations after the 1st, straighten up and prepare the area I plan to use for our "schooling" and continue to prepare Parker for what is to come. He seems very excited about it whenever I talk about it. He wants to learn so much stuff! "what letter is that?" "how does it sound?" "can I help you cook?" "how does a fossil get made?" "why does food get 'bad'?" "are there kids in the cemetary, too?" "why do things die?" "how do I write my name?" "why do girls have boobies?"
Yes, he asked ALL of these questions and many more. And we are about to embark on something brand new to both of us. Something that will unlock a plethora of new questions. Something that may, at times, cause me to ask myself "why?" as well. I will just have to keep these thoughts in my mind when that happens:
~We don't have to get up earlier than I feel like to get to school.
~We don't even have to get dressed if we don't want to.
~We can go on vacation in October if want.
~Field trips can happen a lot more often.
~My kids will be getting constant, one-on-one interaction with their teacher--me!
~If there is a trouble spot, no one "waits" while the trouble spot is figured out.
~If there is a "that's easy!" idea, that child can move on without having to "wait".
~LOTS of hands-on activities which help solidify the idea(s).
~More playtime, fun time; less "stay seated, no talking". You know, the whole notion that homeschoolers lack in social skills is so ludicrous! When do kids get to socialize in public school? Did you know some schools don't even allow talking at lunch time?! Absolutely absurd!
~Many, many other benefits to mention.

Well, I wish I could "convert" everyone, but I know that will never happen. And I don't think poorly of those who don't homeschool. It's not for everyone. But it IS for me. So, please don't think poorly of me. Try to be open minded and trust that I am doing what I feel is right for my children and myself. Also, please know that my mother has a Master's degree in education and has taught most grades from 1st to 12th. She wholeheartedly supports my decision to homeschool and wishes she had done the same.

So, now that I'm off my soapbox (for now), please know that I am excited and anxious as I prepare for this new journey in my family's life.
Talk to you later,
Party Pascha

5 Comments:

At 1:02 AM, Blogger Jamie Dawn said...

Happy Homeschooling to You!!

 
At 12:25 AM, Blogger Jen said...

Rock on, I know you can do it! You can email me if you need encouragement hipmama1970 at yahoo dot com.

:-)

 
At 3:50 PM, Blogger Running2Ks said...

Congrats on homeschooling! It's fun :)

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger Holly said...

I read a lot of homeschooler's blogs... I would never judge even though it is not for me.

I won't go into the reasons, because it doesn't matter, like you said - either it IS for you, or it ISN'T. End of story. As long as you are doing the best thing for you and your kids, it's all good!

 
At 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a blast! We love it and the freedom is amazing. We really learned about the Civil War (war between the states to be correct, since the "Confederate States of America" was a seperate country), because we had the time and ability to devote ourselves to learning more than a chapter or two. We also went to several reinactments. Do you have a support group? Check out A to Z Home's Cool at homeschooling.gomilpitas.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home